[EM] A variant of DSC

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Aug 7 15:25:25 PDT 2011

That "Q" in the previous subject heading was a typo.

Here's an example that illustrates the difference in Woodall's DSC and my modified version:

25 A1>A2
35 A2>A1
20 B>A1
20 C>A1

Woodall's DSC assigns 60 points to {A1, A2} and then the only other positive point coalitions that have
non-empty intersections with this set are  {A2}, {A1}, {A1, B}, and {A1, C}, with respective points of 35,
25, 20 and 20.  The 35 point set {A2} decides the result: A2 wins.

In my version, the 60 point coalition is the highest point proper coalition {A1, A2}, so candidates B and C
are struck from the ballots and we are left with

25 A1>A2
35 A2>A1
40 A1

This time A1 wins.

As near as I can tell, my version still has all of the advantages of DSC, including later-no-harm, clone
independence, monotonicity, etc.

Note that Woodall and I get the same result for

25 A1>A2
35 A2>A1
40 D>A1

namely, that A1 wins.  But if you split the D faction in half, you get the original scenario above.  It seems
to me that A1 should continue to win, but classical DSC switches to A2 without any good reason.  In
other words, it lacks a certain kind of consistency that our modified version has.

Jameson,

the only advantage of DSC over DAC is that DAC does not satisfy later-no-harm.  In the context of
chicken this would keep the bluffer from truncating, but to no avail; the plurality winner (with 48 points)
would win, since (singleton) it would form the highest point solid coalition all by itself.

Under DAC the bluffer would truncate but would still form an assenting coalition with the guy who did not
truncate her, but not a solid coalition.  An even bigger assenting coalition would be the plurality winner
together with the bluffer.  Of these two, only the bluffer would be in the second largest coalition, so the
bluffer would win under DAC.