[EM] : Chicken problem (was: SODA and the Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 08:11:19 PDT 2011

Sorry if the explanation was not clear enough. A basic tree method with bullet votes indeed has the limitation that you mentioned below (inability to influence the preference order in the competing branch).

I think the "explicit clone preprocessing of the votes + Condorcet" description that I gave below is a quite accurate definition of a method that both eliminates the clone problems and has rich ballots (rich enough to take position also on the order within the competing branch).

Building trees could be difficult in some cases. If the clones are from one party, it should not be too difficult to agree that all candidates of one party will be explicit clones. The strongest candidate (and supporters) should accept this because they are more likely to win if he is the strongest candidate of the explicit clone set. The second strongest clone could plan to use a strategy and ask his supporters not to vote for the strongest clone. But maybe saying this aloud in the meeting that discusses the benefits of declaring the candidates of this party as explicit clones would not be an option. Maybe some other explanations could be used. What would be good ones? My guess is that the interest of a party to win the election is so strong that it would be quite natural to use the explicit clone option.

If the clones are from two different parties, then the negotiations are one step more difficult. But also here this is just a proposal of cooperation. The idea is probably just to guarantee that the correct wing will win. I have seen also the weaker party of a wing to give up the idea of nominating its own candidate, just to guarantee that the correct wing will win. Having the option of explicit clones would be beneficial to them, and would allow them to nominate their own candidate. And also the stronger party would probably benefit of this agreement to support the strongest of the clones.

Tree negotiations were quite complex in the binary tree case that was supposed to solve the free riding problems. But this clone problem is less difficult. Maybe the negotiations are not that difficult. If trees are seen as a natural way to provide a structured set of candidates, then they could be very natural. If they are seen as a special defensive approach to respond to the risk of someone using the chicken strategy, then it could happen that people would fail to nominate explicit clones and someone would try that strategy (but maybe one would learn after one failure).

I keep reminding of the benefits of trees because I see them as one very basic approach to eliminating the strategy problems. Trees can be seen also as one approach to fixing the problems that Arrows pointed out (= make the candidates "non-equal") (or not really fix but escape in one quite elegant way). Sorry again if my thoughts appear to be immature and that I didn't name one explicit method as a solution to the problem (or that I misled by referring vaguely just to a tree method (that would by default use bullet votes)).

Juho