[EM] Record activity on the EM list?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Aug 2 19:44:46 PDT 2011

On 8/2/11 8:48 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> Towards the end of July, I noticed that I had to scroll down a long ways in the archive to get to the most
> recent messages.
>
> I wonder if we set some kind of record.
>
> If we were approaching or receding from a major election, it would be more understandable.
>
> Maybe all of the feisty guys are getting too tame, so nothing gets censored.

i've been more peripheral because i ended up subscribing to the list
because of and since a local political struggle regarding election
methods and have been amazed by the contrast in the quality of argument
regarding such between the local political scene ("IRV violates
one-person-one-vote... IRV disenfranchises certain voters... IRV favors
progressive political interests violating equal protection of the
law..." or on the other hand "IRV allows the voter to vote for their
favorite candidate without worry of helping elect their least favorite
candidate...") and this list (with a serious exception regarding two
other subscribers that i eventually had to plonk).

but, as a peripheral actor here, i haven't been participating too much
in this SODA thing or any other asset voting systems.  i have to admit
that my attitude toward such is "why bother?".  i still don't get it.
maybe in an election in an organization or corporation, but i just can't
see such in a governmental election.  people who complain about IRV or a
ranked ballot as complicated will feel no different about an
proxy-assignable contingency vote.  toss in the option to not assign the
contingency vote to a proxy (with an additional check box) and these
people will all the more so say "hunh?".

but i'm watching.  if i see something interesting, i'll pipe in, if
that's okay with the other participants.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com