[EM] legislature size

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Mon Apr 25 17:17:44 PDT 2011

If you were going to use a proxy-type voting system, you could  make the
following rules:

1. A successful candidate must have votes greater than or equal to the
square root of the total number of ballots cast.
2. The total number of successful candidate cannot be greater than the
fourth root of the total number of ballots cast (the square root of the
square root).

In the 2008 election, 122,394,724 people voted for President. The first
rule  would mean that to be seated in the legislature, a candidate would
need at least 11,064 votes, and the maximum number of legislators would
be 105.

Of course, if you wanted to be closer to Warren's 250 limit, you could
take twice the fourth root (~210) or half of the cube root (~248).  If
you were going to go the proxy (asset) route, there probably should be
some simple relation between the total votes cast, the minimum votes
needed to be elected, and the total number of legislators, without
fixing any single number in stone.