[EM] a question about apportionment

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sat Apr 16 17:37:06 PDT 2011

A standard source on the cube root rule for the (approximately) "best"
size of a legislative body is Rein Taagepera and Matthew Shugart, "Seats
& Votes" (Yale University Press, 1989),  pages 172-183. They provide
both empirical evidence and a conceptual explanation. I'm not familiar
with any basis for using the square root of anything.

--Bob Richard