[EM] a question about apportionment (was: basic fairness question)

Evan Dower evantd+electorama at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 17:11:49 PDT 2011

What are the reasons behind the square roots and cube roots? Can you
point me toward some research papers or something please?

Also, in tiered representation, I would expect the representatives at
one tier to elect the representatives at the next (from among
themselves), but the United States elects people to most "tiers" based
on popular votes for the region represented by that representative. To
be more concrete, for tiered representation, I would expect (in your
example) federal legislators to be elected by state legislators (not
by the general public). Similarly, I would expect (again from your
example) "Flat/Young-Earth Geocentric Creationists" to be the only
ones allowed to vote on which of them should elected to the city
council. This certainly doesn't match what you mean by tiered
representation. Perhaps you could reference the definition you're
using?