[EM] Holy grail: a "condorcet compliant" cardinal method (MCA/Bucklin variant)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 16:42:54 PDT 2010

Yes, my "proof" was flawed. The CW Cathy must beat the Approval winner
Andy's approval (1,1,0) score with her range(2,1,0) score; but she need not
beat his range score with her range score. This fact is much less useful,
because there could be a number of candidates whose range scores surpass
Andy's approval score; so you may not actually eliminate anyone for the
runoff, unless you add additional filtering criteria. Such extra critera
could not, as far as I can see, be both O(N) summable, Condorcet-compliant,
and guaranteed to cut down to two candidates.

(There is, however, one more summable, Condorcet compliant criterion based
on 3-rank Range: any candidate whose 1,0,0 "preferral"/"range minus
approval" score beats another candidate's 1,1,0 "approval" score, must beat
them pairwise. This could be used in addition to the "absolute majority"
requirement to give some extra first-round wins in cases of a clear winner
despite a fragmented electorate).

Warren Smith came up with a simpler counterexample, which I simplified
further:

#voters vote
7 CAB
5 ACB
4 ABC
3 BCA

C is the CW, A is the AW and the RW. Apparently, Condorcet himself was aware
of this possibility (though of course he was considering Borda, not Range).

JQ