[EM] election strategy paper, alternative Smith, web site relaunch

James Green-Armytage armytage at econ.ucsb.edu
Sat Nov 27 12:13:20 PST 2010

Hello. This is James G-A, responding to the following post by Chris Benham:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2010-November/026954.html

Chris and I have had a good discussion about this since his post,
which has enabled me to get back up to speed on some of the things he
mentioned.

So, to summarize, there are at least two distinct approaches to
creating Smith/Hare hybrid single winner election methods.

One approach is to first eliminate the candidates outside the Smith
set, and then to hold an IRV tally among remaining candidates. Nic
Tideman's 'alternative Smith' method is a variation on this, which
provides for further elimination of extra-Smith candidates in between
IRV counting rounds.

Another approach is to successively eliminate the plurality loser
until there is a Condorcet winner among remaining candidates. An
equivalent method to this is to do an IRV tally, give each candidate a
score according to the number of candidates eliminated before them,
and then choose the Smith set candidate with the highest score.
Douglas Woodall seems to have proposed this in 2003 or earlier, though
I'm not sure if he has done so in any published forum.

In our discussion, Chris Benham and I resolved that the former
approach has the advantage of satisfying the 'local IIA' criterion
(which states that adding a candidate outside the Smith set should not
affect an election result), while Woodall's approach has the advantage
of satisfying the 'mono-add-plump' and 'mono-append' criteria (which
are defined, for example, in Woodall's "Properties of Preferential
Election Rules", Voting Matters December 1994).

Chris feels that the monotonicity criteria are more important, but I
remain undecided about that. My conclusion at this point is that
neither approach entirely dominates the other. One thing that I will
say in favor of Woodall's approach is that it has the simplest
definition, which suggests a certain elegance, and which means that it
would probably be easier to sell to a skeptical public.

I've run a few of my election strategy simulations on Woodall's
method, and so far I've found no difference between its performance
and that of the other approach. So, both approaches seem to share
these three highly desirable properties: (1) Smith efficiency, (2)
minimal vulnerability to strategic voting, and (3) minimal voting to
strategic nomination.

In my opinion, this combination is a really big deal, and I look
forward to further discussion of these methods.

Sincerely,
James