[EM] election strategy paper, alternative Smith, web site relaunch

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 24 01:00:10 PST 2010

James Green-Armytage wrote (20 Nov 2010):
<snip>

> In addition to the nine methods listed above, I tried some of my
> analyses with six other Condorcet methods: beatpath, ranked pairs,
> Smith/Hare, alternative Smith, and two versions of cardinal pairwise.
> Beatpath and ranked pairs generally seem to perform like minimax, and
> cardinal pairwise usually but not always performs somewhat better than
> these, but the really striking news in my opinion is how well the
> Hare-Condorcet hybrids perform.
>
> That is, given a preliminary analysis, they seem to be as resistant to
> strategic voting as Hare (and possibly slightly more resistant), and
> they are distinctly less vulnerable to strategic nomination (because
> they are Smith efficient, and therefore only vulnerable to strategic
> nomination when there is a majority rule cycle). So, for single-winner
> public elections, alternative Smith and Smith/Hare seem to have a lot
> to recommend them, i.e. the combination of Smith efficiency with
> strong resistance to both types of election strategy.
>
> I should define these methods here, for clarity. Smith/Hare eliminates
> all candidates not in the Smith set (minimal dominant set, i.e. the
> smallest set of candidates such that all members in the set pairwise
> beat all members outside the set), and then holds an IRV tally among
> remaining candidates. This method has been floating around this list
> for a while, yes? Does anyone know of an academic publication that
> mentions it? I seem to remember reading something that said that it
> had been named after a person at some point, but I no longer know
> where I read that.
>
> Alternative Smith is a closely related method, which Nic Tideman made
> up when he was writing Collective Decisions and Voting. It (1)
> eliminates all candidates not in the Smith set, then (2) eliminates
> the candidate with the fewest top-choice votes. Steps 1 and 2
> alternate until only one candidate remains. (See page 232 of the
> book.) I focus on this rule rather than Smith/Hare in the paper,
> because I find it marginally more elegant, but the difference between
> the two is very minor.

James,
We discussed these  "Hare-Condorcet hybrids" on EM in the months of
October and
November 2005. Then I quoted Douglas Woodall's demonstration that both
the versions
you discuss fail Mono-add-Plump and  Mono-append.

> abcd 10
> bcda  6
> c     2
> dcab  5
>
> All the candidates are in the top tier, and the AV winner is a.  But
> if you add two extra ballots that plump for a, or append a to the two
> ballots, then the CNTT becomes {a,b,c}, and if you delete d from all
> the ballots before applying AV then c wins.

Translating to a more familiar EM format:

10: A>B>C>D
06: B>C>D>A
02: C
05: D>C>A>B

All candidates are in the Smith set  (Woodall's "Condorcet-Net Top
Tier"), and the Hare
(aka "Alternative Vote", aka IRV) winner is A.

But if you add 2 ballots that bullet-vote (plump) for A, or change the
two C ballots to C>A,
the Smith set becomes {A B C}, and if you delete D from all the ballots
from all the ballots before
applying Hare (i.e. properly "eliminate" D and not just disqualify D
from winning) then C wins.

Smith,Hare (which Woodall called "CNTT,AV") meets those criteria and has
a simpler algorithm:

> Begiinining with their most preferred candidate, voters strictly rank
> however many candidates they wish.
> Before each (and any) elimination, check for a candidate X that
> pairwise beats all  (so far uneliminated)
> candidates. Until such an X appears, one-at-a-time eliminate the
> candidate that is voted favourite
> (among uneliminated candidates) on the fewest ballots. As soon as an X
> appears, elect X.

So why put up with failures of  mono-add-plump and mono-append? What
advantage (if any) do you think
the two versions you discuss have over Smith,Hare to compensate for that?

Chris Benham