[EM] Fair and Democratic versus Majority Rules

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Mon Nov 15 17:40:58 PST 2010

On 11/15/2010 4:58 PM, fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> When majority rules, a 51 percent majority can have their way in election after election. But what other
> possible standard is there for democracy and fairness besides "majority rule?"

For seats in legislative bodies, proportional representation.

> One answer is that every sector of the population ought to have a chance at being in charge, and that
> chance should be in rough proportion to the size of the sector of the population.

What does "being in charge" mean? If it means "making the rules", see my
response above. If it means "implementing/administering/enforcing the
rules", then I think any form of lottery would lead to chaos and
possibly rebellion during the occasional terms in office of officials
representing small minorities. Sortition is very feasible for specific
kinds of legislative assemblies, specifically those whose purpose is to
propose measures to be voted on in referenda. I don't think it can work
for deciding who gets to run the executive branch.

--Bob Richard