[EM] Why I Think Sincere Cycles are Extremely Unlikely in Practice

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 12:57:05 PST 2010

Here are two example situations where sincere cycles might exist.

Sincere cycles are probably not very common in real elections. There
have already been many ranked ballot based elections with reasonably
sincere ballots, but at least I'm not aware of any top level cycles in
them. This is at least a weak practical proof. But still cycles could
exist in some quite reasonable set-ups.

1) Randomness

Lets assume that all candidates are about equally good and all kind of
preferences are well distributed among the voters. In this situation
votes would look pretty much like random. votes, or at least not
follow a clear linear or other simple model. All candidates would get
about equal number of first preferences. And there would be no strong
preferences between any two candidates. The preference matrix will
thus be filled with more or less random values.

In this situation the probability of a top cycle increases to some
clearly higher than zero probability. The cycle will of course be very
weak, and small differences in voter opinions can change the
situation. Therefore it is not probable that one could efficiently
build any strategy on the assumption that some cycle A>B>C>A exists.

Strong left-right or other clear voting patterns and fixed and uniform
opinions among the voters will decrease the probability of having a
random cycle. Elections with no such strong set-up are more likely to
lead to (random like) top level cycles.

2) Voters with simple targets + appropriate selection of candidate
profiles

Lets assume that there are three leading candidates, and there are
three key topics (positive targets) under discussion (e.g. lower
taxes, better health care, some needed action in foreign policy), and
we have a reasonably high number of voters that see one of the three
questions as the key question in this election (reasonable number of
voters for each question). It is quite typical that those three
leading candidates each try to collect their support from different
voter groups, and therefore each put more weight on one of the
questions. (There could be also clones but let's ignore that to keep
things simple.) Candidate C1 is thus known to promote question Q1,
candidate C2 is associated with Q2 and C3 with Q3.

Since all candidates want to collect votes also outside their core
support group they will say something positive also about the other
two positive targets. Candidate C1 has to talk a lot about Q1 to
guarantee her core support. Then she has to make a decision on how
much effort she will put on questions Q2 vs. Q3. It is probable that
she will consider one of these two questions to be more important than
the other (or even if she would find them equally important or
strategically equally profitable she probably would anyhow get better
results in one of the two sectors (Q2, Q3)). Also C2 and C3 have to
make similar decisions on how to run their campaign. We thus have
three candidates that will rank three questions. Each candidate has
different first preference. The probability of a loop in the rankings
of the three leading candidates is now 0.25. Things might change
dynamically during the campaign, but possibility of a loop in the
candidate preferences or a loop as perceived by the voters remains.

The point in this scenario is thus that while strong preference loops
in the voter opinions may be rare, in the candidate opinions/campaigns
such loops are more likely to occur. And if such a perceived loop
exists, and if many voters are mainly interested in one of the
questions, then it is natural for those voters to rank the candidate
that is strongly associated with their question first, and then rank
second the candidate that supports this question more than the third
candidate. And we may have a stronger than random loop (that was
discussed above) in the results.

Juho

P.S. In general I think Condorcet methods will do quite fine in the
elections. If we arrange an election among the EM list members, then
we might see strategy analyses and even attempts to use some strategy.
But in "real life" elections things might look different. It is
difficult to reliably measure opinions and changes in the opinions,
and regular voters can not be effectively controlled, and they will
not make efficient strategic calculations themselves. Therefore my
guess is that strategic voting would typically not be a major problem
in typical public political elections, or if there are strategies they
might well be irrational and noise in the results. We should try
Condorcet methods in political elections of all (or many different)
political environments to see (since political culture of each society
is a major factor here).