[EM] Satisfaction Approval Voting - A Better Proportional Representation Electoral Method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Thu May 20 07:34:57 PDT 2010

Jameson Quinn wrote:
> If you're looking for simple proportional systems, you could look at
> "total representation", where district-based representatives win with a
> majority, but some extra seats are assigned to the highest-vote-getting
> losers of underrepresented parties to help balance.
>
> I believe that SAV is not that great a system. It requires too much
> strategy from the voters; you have to know how many voters like you
> there are in order to know how much to split up your vote. A faction
> which spread its vote to thin could end up entirely unrepresented - even
> if it were a majority faction.

 > I would propose SPA (Summable Proportional Approval) voting.

[...]

> The math is complicated. However, it's only to make the process
> summable, and thus to make recounts verifiable. If you don't need
> summability, you just reweight the individual ballots to deduct a Droop
> quota, which is trivial mathematically.

Hm, that's an interesting approach. The problems of reweighting
a weighted positional system doesn't appear in your method as there are
just two levels - approved and not (somewhat like Plurality in that
respect).

Does SPA meet the following criterion?

"If more than k Droop quotas approve of p candidates, then at least
min(k,p) of these candidates must be elected".

(I'm not sure if it can be met, but it seems like a reasonable Approval
extension of the Droop proportionality criterion)