[EM] Why proportional elections - Power arguments needed (Czech green party)

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Wed May 19 10:38:35 PDT 2010

Dear Jameson,

yes your argument is similar to the one of Terry Bouricius ("the wisdom of
crowds", and yes it is a good one.
Diversity also has an appeal to a diverse set of voters, allowing for
improvements in voter preferences.
That is a good line of argument, thanks.

A very nice argument for proportional elections would be one founded in
welfare economic theory.
That would be very interesting at least for me, and I quess this argument
should not be too difficult to formulate for elections (but I have no clue
how)

I am not sure if the resulting argument would be interesting for normal
party members, but I think it is an important and very fundamental question
to answer.
I have seen technical arguments flying around in this forum (Bayesian
regret, socially optimal pareto fronts, and Kristian's intruigung graph at:
http://munsterhjelm.no/km/elections/multiwinner_tradeoffs/), which I haven't
been able to understand.

What I do understand is that we have a preference ordering when voting,
which can be used in social welfare functions (see
http://aede.osu.edu/programs/Anderson/trade/Welfare5rev.pdf, page 8 and on).

Maybe it can be shown that proportional elections are better than
winner-takes-it-all elections for a wide range of social welfare functions.

*Some wild speculation about things I don't understand very well:*
 Selecting a social welfare function (i.e. selecting between a utiltarian,
bernoulli-nash or rawlsian social welfare function) can indeed be a voting
task itself. I just don't have the proper training in economy to understand
the details, like the publication below:

I quote a publication I found:
"The isoelastic SWF [see the publication *PZ comment*]  takes on a number of
familiar foms depending on the value of *p. *When *p *=O, it is the
classical utilitarian. The limit as p-1 is the Bernoulli-Nash *(linear *in
the logarithms). *And *as *p-m, *it is the Rawlsian maximin fom. These cases
are characterized by the shape of the social indifference curves shown in
Figure 2.1. Because it is a function (i.e. the inverse) of the elasticity of
substitution along *these *indifference curves. p reflects society's
willingness to made-off utility berween individuals. *A *greater value of *p
*reflects greater social aversion to inequality . Therefore, *p *may be
considered an equity parameter, chosen by consensus or some other political
means."(see page 24-25 in *
https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/10891/1/NQ27722.pdf*<https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/10891/1/NQ27722.pdf>
)

Threse publications seems to be on a path which could have something to do
with voting (selects the bernoulli-nash social welfare function):
Economic analysis and distributive justice, page 49:
http://people.ku.edu/~dburress/econ-ana.pdf
Page 9: http://www.cherry.gatech.edu/mod/pubs/proceed3/c14_burr.pdf
Isoelastic function again: Page 9, equation 10:
http://www.mi.uni-hamburg.de/fileadmin/fnu-files/publication/tol/ereaggregation.pdf
(there
is even a maximin function)

 I personally like the Bernoulli-Nash welfare function on page 13, as it has
good properties, where the utilities are multiplied instead of added (i. the
form is the same as the other functions in the Pareto framework ii. it gives
logaritmic weighs to utility by multiplying them efficiently preferring more
"equal" utility distributions without demanding that utility should be
distributed equally). Samuelson and Bergson proposed the Bernoulli-Nash
social welfare function themselves.

Ok, I am not sure if I made things clear or not, i touched (very
lightly) upon this stuff in my studies. Seems to be an area which is not
well understood.

Best regards
Peter Zborník