[EM] Why proportional elections - Power arguments needed (Czech green party)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed May 19 08:55:19 PDT 2010

The whole point of having a representative body is that it represents the
diversity of an organization. It's not just a matter of diversity of
opinion; it's a diversity of strengths, of outlooks, of focus, which makes
the organization stronger than any one person. A non-proportional system
tends in the other direction, of electing N clones of the same bland
majority candidate. Selecting only for broad appeal means selecting only for
bland schmoozing; certainly a valuable skill in politics, but not the only
skill you want your party to cultivate.

Is that a good start?

Jameson Quinn