[EM] Why Not Condorcet?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 16 15:29:00 PDT 2010

At 09:50 AM 5/16/2010, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>
>>"Demanding" is an odd word to use for "allowing." "Condorcet"
>>doesn't really refer to ballot form, though it is often assumed to
>>use a full-ranking ballot. In any case, a ballot that allows full
>>ranking, if it allows equal ranking and this causes an empty space
>>to open up for each equal ranking, is a ratings ballot, in fact.
>>It's Borda count converted to Range by having fixed ranks that
>>assume equal preference strength. Then the voter assigns the
>>candidates to the ranks. It is simply set-wise ranking, but the
>>voter may simply rank any way the voter pleases, and full ranking
>>is a reasonable option, just as is bullet voting or intermediate
>>options, as fits the opinion of the voter.
>
>If the range is too narrow or too wide, the equivalence fails.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you can see that I was describing
a ranked ballot, which assumes full ranking and no other ranks. That
is a Borda ballot (if fully voted). The question is what happens then
if you equal rank.

I.e., if you have A>B>C>D, and you decide to equal rank, say, A and
B, is you vote

A=B>C>D, or is it

A=B>.>C>D

which maintains the four ranks? (Or it could also be A=B>C>.>D, the same).

As to practical expression on a ballot, this is actually easier than
simply expressing two ranks instead of three, and the two possible
A=B>C votes I showed have different implications for the utility of C.

There are two ways:

                 A       B       C       D
1st rank:       O       O       O       O
2nd rank:       O       O       O       O
3rd rank:       O       O       O       O

or

rank:           1       2       3