[EM] Bucklin strategy (was: Fwd: [ESF #1126] Another bullet vote argument)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:12:02 PDT 2010

> Thus, for example, if Bucklin is used in a runoff system with good runoff
> rules,...

One of the biggest advantages of Bucklin is its simplicity. Don't give that
up so easily.

This is not against two rounds. Two-round systems have real advantages in
terms of legitimacy. However, I find "primary-like" two-round systems better
than "runoff-like" ones. That is, you want systems where a marginally
motivated voter will show up only for the second, decisive round, not where
they'll show up only for the first round. So the first round should be used
to help inform the voting and ballot design in the second round, but there
should still be an ample array of choices in the second round (definitely
3-7, I'd say 4-5). Earlier I gave an example of this kind of system: a
plurality-based primary which affects ballot placement and public campaign
finance, and which eliminates no-hope also-rans, then a decisive round of
Bucklin. Bucklin strategy would be easy given that the information from the
first round, and simple strategy advice, would be actually on the ballot.