[EM] Why Not Condorcet?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu May 13 20:14:48 PDT 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 10:25 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On May 13, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>> I read of arranging ballot data in a triangle, rather than in a
>> matrix as usually described.  A minor detail, but what would be
>> easiest for ballot counters is most important while they count,
>> though rearranging for later processing would be possible.
>
> in all cases, i am assuming that a computer is tabulating the
> ballots.  to count Condorcet by hand is difficult, because (if
> number of candidates is N) you would have to update up to N*(N-1)/2
> numbers out of N*(N-1) for each ballot handled, rather than 1 of N
> numbers as is done for FPTP (the latter lets you sort to piles for
> quick double checking).

That reads as if you were trying for a prize for large numbers.

Suppose someone bullet votes; N-1 is the most pairs you can find
reason for updating - 3(N-1) if the voter ranked three.

Read my post where I describe less labor for counting:
      Q elements in an N array if the voter ranks Q candidates.
      P elements in N*N if the Q elements were composed of P pairs (0
for a bullet vote; 6 for Q=4).