[EM] Why Not Condorcet?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu May 13 19:25:51 PDT 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> I read of arranging ballot data in a triangle, rather than in a
> matrix as usually described.  A minor detail, but what would be
> easiest for ballot counters is most important while they count,
> though rearranging for later processing would be possible.

in all cases, i am assuming that a computer is tabulating the
ballots.  to count Condorcet by hand is difficult, because (if number
of candidates is N) you would have to update up to N*(N-1)/2 numbers
out of N*(N-1) for each ballot handled, rather than 1 of N numbers as
is done for FPTP (the latter lets you sort to piles for quick double
checking).

the reason i prefer that triangle (which is just like the NxN matrix
with half of the elements folded over the main diagonal and also
sorted in order of the Condorcet ranking (assuming no cycles, if there
are cycles, even one not including the CW, the triangle won't look so
pretty) is because it displays the result in such a way that you can
immediately infer the who-beats-who results from it.  even though i
haven't seen it anywhere else before, i make no claim to novelty.  i
really just can't understand why anyone would use the NxN square
matrix.  it's really hard to glance at it and see what numbers to pair
together.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com