[EM] Hybrid/generalized ranked/approval ballots

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:49:39 PDT 2010

Dear all,

an alternative way to count wins against equally ranked candidates,
would be to give both 0.5 wins per vote and not 0 as I did in my previous
mail.

Thus the current state: A>B gives 1:0. A=B gives ?:? (A=B is only allowed at
the end of the ballot)
The proposal above: A>B gives 2:0. A=B gives 1:1 (linear transformation from
A>B - 1:0 and A=B - 0.5:0.5).
The soccer proposal  A>B gives 3:0, A=B gives 1:1 (linear transformation
from A>B - 1:0 and A=B -1/3:1/3. This proposal would (as in soccer)
encourage voters to differenciate between candidates, and candidates to try
to gain more support than the other candidates. The soccer ranking is purely
speculative though.

In the case, where we give 0.5 wins to equally-ranked candidates and 1 win
to higher ranked candidates, then I guess the second example below would
become:

A B C
A 30.5 45
B 31.5 45
C 17 17

given
30 B>C=A
30 A>C=B
1 C (i.e. C>A=B)
1 C>B>A

Thus B wins, but C does better than in the example below.

The example above is not the best illustration of how equal rankings can
change election results,
since a voter can always vote B>C=A by simply bullet-voting B.
A better example would be on the form A=B>C or A>B=C>D, but I hope you get
the point.

The question is, what the benefits and draw-backs are, if equal ranking of
candidates is allowed and if equal ranking should be allowed, but
discouraged, as in the soccer proposal.
If there are no draw-backs, then this ballot-type could be of use.

This is just a question out of curiousity and is really not a question for
the green party council elections.
I hope I haven't spammed this you too much with these emails.

Best regards
Peter Zborník