[EM] Hybrid/generalized ranked/approval ballots

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Sun May 9 05:52:37 PDT 2010

Dear all

If we study Condorcet voting with the two types of ballots: ranked and
hybrid, then the differences can be drastic:

Normal ranked ballots:
30 B>C>A
30 A>C>B
1 C (i.e. C>A=B, when using Schulze, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method#Ballot)
1 C>B>A

Pairwise preferences
A B C
A 30 30
B 31 30
C 32 32

Thus C wins

Hybrid ranked ballots (replace two > with = in the example above):
30 B>C=A
30 A>C=B
1 C (i.e. C>A=B)
1 C>B>A

A B C
A 30 30
B 31 30
C 2 2

Thus B wins.

I hope I calculated correctly.

As a voter, I would prefer the hybrid ballot, as it gives me more expressive
power, unless this kind of ballot has some other weakness when used.

Best regards
Peter Zborník