[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Sun May 9 03:50:43 PDT 2010

Dear Andrew Myers,

this method looks interesting, as it is proportional, Condorcet and non
STV-like.
You write on your web-page, that: "the correctness of the algorithm depends
on a currently unproved conjecture: that if improvement of a committee is
possible, it can be done by replacing one member at a time".
It would be very difficult to gain support for a method, which relies on an
unproven conjecture.
I see this as the biggest problem in your proposed method.

I guess that from the presentation every voter votes for M candidates, where
M is the number of seats, and that the voter uses range-like voting for each
of the candidates voted for on the ballot.
I don't understand the two modes - combined weights and best candidate and
why two modes are needed.

You write on your web page, that: "The factor (*k*+1) may be surprising in
the condition for proportional validity, but it actually agrees with
proportional representation election methods developed elsewhere; it is
analogous to the Droop
quota<http://www.encyclopedia4u.com/d/droop-quota.html> used
by many STV election methods"
It could be nice, if you could show a proof on how the method achieves
proportionality, what advantages it has to standard STV and how it tackles
strategic-voting/vote management (for instance - give zero weight to the
strongest competitors).
I assume it is not used for elections anywhere, so some alpha testing could
be appropriate.

Best regards
Peter Zborník