[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Fri May 7 08:27:01 PDT 2010

Dear Juho,

thanks for taking the time to formalize the requirements and the discussion
so far.
I would like to put some ideas into the ether, which extend the approach of
Schulze in some directions.
It is worth emphasizing that I presently do not in any way recommend any of
the approaches below before Shulze's proportional ranking, and that they are
just some ideas, which I would like to get out of my head.
Thus in this email I deliberately leave the "procurement process" for a
proportional election system for the Czech green party in order to indulge
in some academic speculation.

---

Extension suggestion:
The Schulze proportional rankig method is good, but has one weakness, which
I will try to examplify below.

Our main problem with the proposal of Schulze, is that it gives us more
hierarchy than we usually need, and that it drops proportionality
unnecessarily much.
Let's for the sake of the argument say, that we want to select the Green
regional party council in Prague, which (as an exception) has two vice
presidents, without internal ordering and seven members.
Thus this council looks like the following: P, VPa, VPb, Ma, Mb, Mc, Md (Ma
means Member a).

The proportional ranking needed is not P>VPa>VPb>Ma>Mb>Mc>Md,
but P>[VPa, VPb]>[Ma, Mb, Mc, Md].
Let us call this required ranking for "boundary conditions".

I will discuss some ideas to address this issue by with a little
inspiration from the world of statistics.

---

 In statistics, the top-down and bottom-up approach correspond to two
heuristics often used to select variables to a regression model from a large
number of candidate variables, specifically to forward and backward
selection, see (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwise_regression):

In statistics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics>, *stepwise
regression* includes regression models in which the choice of predictive
variables is carried out by an automatic
procedure.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwise_regression#cite_note-0>
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwise_regression#cite_note-1>[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwise_regression#cite_note-2>Usually,
this takes the form of a sequence of
F-tests <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-test>, but other techniques are
possible, such as t-tests <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-test>, adjusted
R-square <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-square>, Akaike information
criterion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akaike_information_criterion>, Bayesian
information criterion<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_information_criterion>,
Mallows' Cp <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallows%27_Cp>, or false discovery
rate <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_discovery_rate>.

The main approaches are:

   - Forward selection, which involves starting with no variables in the
   model, trying out the variables one by one and including them if they are
   'statistically significant'.
   - Backward elimination, which involves starting with all candidate
   variables and testing them one by one for statistical significance, deleting
   any that are not significant.

An other method (the exhaustive search), which can be used for a moderate
number of candidate variables and variables in the model, is to evaluate all
possible variable combinations. I.e. in the case where we are looking for a
model with two variables, and we have four candidate variables (a,b,c,d),
then we evaluate the model for the variables (a,b), (a,c), (a,d), (b,c),
(b,d), (c,d).

A combination of the forward selection approach and the exhaustive search
would take as imput information on how many candidate variables to evaluate
in each step, for instance, Step 1: one variable, step 2: two variables,
step 3: four variables (the Green regional party council in Prague)

---

The underlying idea from the combine statistical approach in the previous
paragraph, could be used combine top-down and
bottom-up ranking, by modifying or generalize the Schulze proportional
ranking (which I understand a little) and Schulze STV (which I haven't
studied) to one "universal" top-down method.
The unified method would have the Schulze proportional ranking as a special
case, when the bondary conditions would be a<...<n and speculatively Schulze
STV as a special case, when there would be no boundary conditions.
The Schulze unified method would borrow the following ideas
(i) the hierarchy approach from Schulze proportional ranking as specified by
the "boundary conditions", and
(ii) more than one hopefuls can be elected at once, as in Schulze STV, while
keeping the already elected stable.

For this approach to work, we might need to introduce "proportionality" as a
"performance criterion" (as R-square in regression), which is able to say,
that we always elect all the seats in one hierarchy group simultaneously.

Example (from an email by Schulze):
"40 ABC
25 BAC
35 CBA
The Schulze proportional ranking is BAC.
However, for two seats, Droop proportionality, requires that A and C are
elected."

The "unified" method for two seats without boundary conditions would select
BA (i.e.Schulze STV)
Under the boundary condition A>B (A is elected before B) the same "unified"
method would select AC otherwise (i.e. Schulze proportional ranking).

An other example where this ranking would be needed could for instance be
the national council with two presidents (party leaders), whch is a common
leaderhip structure in the green parties in some countries.
Thus, let us for instance assume the following structure:
[Pa, Pb]>VPa>VPb>[Ma, Mb, Mc]
In the case of two presidents, Shulze's proportional ranking fails to
elect the "most proportional" "Condorcet" presidential pair (I have no clue
of how to be able to find the "most proportional Condorcet presidential
pair"), since it imposes an unnecessary condition that one president should
be ranked ahead the secon.
Maybe the presidential pair or Prague regional council of the Greens could
be good examples to focus on.

---

So much the academic debate.
For me, my priority is to better understand the Schulze proportional ranking
method, and gather up enogh courage and time to attempt to read his paper.

I hope to open the second "tender" for primary elections soon, where
Schulze's method seems to be the natural departing point.

Best regards
Peter Zborník