[EM] minimizing reluctance by DSV

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon May 24 11:14:31 PDT 2010

Hi Forest,

--- En date de : Sam 22.5.10, fsimmons at pcc.edu <fsimmons at pcc.edu> a écrit :
> The alternative X is used as the approval cutoff.  On
> some of the ballots the
> cutoff is considered excluded (not including X as approved)
> but on just enough
> ballots to make X the approval winner, the cutoff is
> considered inclusive (so on
> these ballots X is approved).
>
> The "reluctance" of ballot B in approving X is the
> difference between the
> maxrange value and the rating given to alternative X by
> ballot B.
>
> Elect the alternative X with the least possible reluctance
> total.

I don't understand how you determine which ballots approve X. Is it
random, or irrelevant? Or do you have to find the selection which will
minimize reluctance to electing X?

Kevin

Forest replies:

Yes, the selection that minimizes reluctance.  That’s why I put the word “possible” in the
phrase, “minimum possible reluctance.”

Start by approving X on all of the ballots with zero reluctance for X, then move on to the ballots that  have
a reluctance of one, etc. until there is enough approval for X to overcome the approval for the candidates
that are preferred over X .