[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:14:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Juho <juho.laatu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to plant one's own candidates inside the competing
> parties and vote for them? Probably not in practice even if this was
> possible in theory.
>
> Ability to influence which candidates of the other parties will be elected
> changes the nature of the system a bit in any case (=> more compromise
> oriented) (although such votes might not be very common??).

You can influence other parties by giving up your ability to decide
within your own party.

Also, presumably, candidates have to be nominated by the party to
stand as party candidates.  This makes "plants" more difficult to pull
off.

However, if your party is only expected to get 1 seat and only runs 1
candidate, then you can safely use all your cumulative votes to
influence other parties.