[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:16:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> No, it is not at all like MMP in that.  ALL the votes are party votes.  All the votes are used to allocate seats to parties and then
> the votes within parties are used to decide which candidates should fill the allocated seats.  Importantly, all the members are
> elected on an equal basis  -  quite unlike MMP.

However, you are allowed to cross out a party member and replace him
with a non-member.

> No, because for every "cumulated vote" you must "strike out" a corresponding vote.  Of course, when it comes to the allocation of
> candidates to seats, the cumulated votes do have a separate effect.

Yeah, but it only has an effect after the number of seats per party is
decided, based on the party votes.

With MMP, if you win a local seat, you are guaranteed to be elected.
This is ultimately what allows the decoy list mechanism to work.