[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Wed Mar 3 06:22:08 PST 2010

I can answer your question about the voter turnout trends in Burlington,
having been involved in electoral politics in Burlington  for over 30
years (in fact I was on the City Council when Ward 7 was created a couple
of decades ago).

Burlington's New North End (Wards 4 and 7) are primarily owner-occupied
detached homes (suburban-feeling), with slightly more Republicans than
Democrats, and few Progressives. These Wards ALWAYS have far higher
turnout that the rest of the city. The rest of the city is a majority
rental property, and some Wards have a high percentage of University
students (who only vote in Presidential election years) and refugee
immigrants who are not allowed to vote. In these Wards, Progressives and
Democrats dominate, with very few Republicans. Since homeowners see the
direct impact of votes on school budgets and bond issues, they are
especially more likely than renters to vote in municipal elections.

Added to the above is the fact that in this election there were hotly
contested city council races in Wards 4 and 7 (in which Republicans won),
with only one inner-city Ward having a competitive city council race (that
being the traditionally lowest turnout Ward 2).

Terry Bouricius