[EM] Droop proportionality criterion for multiwinner Approval

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sat Mar 27 02:45:56 PDT 2010

How's this for an Approval version of the DPC?

If for a given subset S of the candidates, at least p Droop quotas
approve of S and there is no greater set that contains S that also is
approved by at least p Droop quotas, then if this subset has cardinality
f, at least min(p, f) of these candidates should be in the outcome.

-

The greater set provision is required because otherwise, if everybody
approved of every candidate, there would be no solution unless the
council size was equal to the number of candidates - since every
single-candidate set would be approved by the entire electorate and thus
deserve to be included.

It would not be a very constraining criterion, I think, and something
similar might be done to make an Approval version of my monotone divisor
method.