[EM] What is Range good for (was: A four bit (sixteen slot) range style ballot)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 01:32:05 PDT 2010

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote below:

> In other words, failing the Condorcet Criterion is not a flaw of
> Range Voting, it is a strength. However, it is also true that under
> some conditions, condorcet failure can indicate a problem with
> Range, and so some of my work has been aimed at detecting and fixing
> that problem.

> From there I realized that the ballot could be full Range and that
> therefore, from it, a Condorcet winner could be detected, and if
> this winner differs from the Bucklin/Approval/Range winner, a runoff
> could be triggered. What this amounts to is the rough equivalent of
> a ratification combined with a runoff. Range voting easily may fail
> to satisfy the basic democratic principle of majority rule, so,
> technically, a Range result should be ratified. To be efficient,
> though, the ratification may be combined with a consideration of at
> least one alternative, and perhaps two or three. With a good voting
> system, and with what have become, in the runoff, well-informed
> voters, having the results of the first poll -- which could be
> printed on the ballot! -- majority ratification of a result is quite
> likely.

This is a quite good description of the border area between Condorcet
and Range. This approach may be useful in environments that are not
fully competitive but not fully non-competitive either. I tend to
think that there is no single answer to all the voting needs of the
world. There may be many kind of single-winner elections with
different needs and different voter behaviour. An environment that
hangs somewhere between being majority decision driven and non-
competitive expressed utility driven may not bee very common but
definitely an interesting special case. If the voters are fully
competitive and majority driven (very common in political elections)
then the Range part may be just additional information for polling
purposes, and the majority winner will win the runoff. In that case
basic Condorcet method would be sufficient (one would just lose the
more or less sincere polling info).

The described method could work better if one would arrange the runoff
between the Range winner and the winner of some Condorcet Method (if
they differ) (not only if there is a Condorcet winner) since then the
voters could be confident that they will have their chance of getting
the majority oriented winner, and they would be more free to give more
sincere Range ratings.

One approach would be to allow the voters to declare their strategy.
That would eliminate the need of a separate runoff election. One could
have e.g. three three options for the runoff between the Range winner
and the Condorcet Method winner. 1) Interpret my ballot as ratings. 2)
Interpret my ballot as rankings. 3) Rearrange my ballot so that it
will maximally support the (sincere) Range winner. (Fourth (maybe not
as popular, maybe more rebellious) option could be to maximally
support the Condorcet method winner.) The runoff would be a Range
election between two candidates. Strategy 1 would cast a "weak Range
vote". Strategy 2 would cast a majority/Condorcet oriented vote
(exaggerated "re-normalized" Range vote). Strategy 3 would allow the
voter to change her opinion to support the Range winner (maximally).

(There are some opportunities for strategic voting. The majority
oriented / competitive voters could give insincere ratings to pick
appropriate candidates for the runoff or just to make the poll results
look better (low points to strong competitors, or to candidates that
might rise too high in the next elections, or simply low points to all
others but one's favourites). Strategic ratings could play a role also
in the polls before the actual election.)

This combination of Condorcet methods and Range could be a nice
approach at least in environments where one "tries to teach the voters
to become more non-competitive". This situation might not be very
common in politics, and this balanced state of affairs would might
often not be stable (= a state that would last over several
elections), but certainly this approach is worth a try and a good
discussion point in some environments (maybe first in some clubs and
associations, maybe in some deliberative teams that you often
advocate). Maybe there are also some stable environments that could
use this approach continuously. It could be interesting to study what
would happen if there would be some stable segments of voters falling
into the different strategic categories. But I will not jump into that
for now.

Juho