[EM] Venzke's election simulations

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:26:24 PDT 2010

Warren wrote ...

>Forest:
>If I were a voter in this situation, my sincere rating for an alternative at
distance x
>would be
>    r=(D-x)/(D-d),
>where D and d, respectively, are the distances to the respective alternatives
furthest >and nearest to me.

--We are not speaking about sincere normalized ratings. We are
speaking of utilities, which definitely are NOT to be normalized in
this sort of fashion!   Doing so would
(a) be nuts for the purpose of getting reasonable bayesian regret values
and also (b) would artificially cause normalized range voting to be a
"perfect" voting method.

Forest replies:

It seems to me that sincere ratings and utilities should be related by affine
transformations.

If my utility function says that alternative Y is halfway between alternatives X
and Z, then my sincere rating for Y should be halfway between my sincere ratings
for X and Z.

But you have proposed a utility function that is related non-linearly to
ratings, (with or without the sqrt function).