[EM] Condorcet strategy spreadsheet (was, ...maybe it should be about Condorcet...)

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 12:51:17 PST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 9:18 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> .
>
> 2010/1/31 Juho Laatu <juho.laatu at gmail.com>
> Yes. It is not easy to give exact numbers on how often strategies
> are possible in Condorcet. ...Even the second challenge of election
> specific commendations based on already available information is
> hard to meet.
>
> The spreadsheet is about trying to find such strategies.
>

> There have been quite a number of (non-political) Condorcet
> elections but I have not seen anyone point out any obvious strategic
> opportunities even after the elections. Maybe this also says
> something about how common the vulnerabilities are (more experiments
> needed though).
>
> So, even when there is a theoretical vulnerability that some set of
> voters could use to improve the end result from their point of view
> by altering their votes, that may still be quite far from practical
> implementation of the strategy. Have you maybe generated some rules
> that the voters or parties/candidates could recommend to implement
> some of the strategies in real life?
>
> The fundamental thing you need for any strategy to work is a
> (potentially) "cyclical" election. That is, you need to know that
> (at least aside from your own group of voters) ABC + BCA + CAB > CBA
> + BAC + ACB. Let's take real cycles first, and potential cycles in
> the next paragraph. Real cycles very hard to find in real world
> elections; if A voters hate C, then C voters tend to hate A
> symmetrically. Thus, IMO all the scenarios that the spreadsheet
> explores are more-or-less unrealistic; I can't make up good stories
> about how they could happen in real life.

In principle "natural" cycles could occur in real life. Let's say
there are three voter groups (33%, 33%, 33%). Each group is mainly
interested in one topic (A, B, C). We have three candidates (C1, C2,
C3). The time and effort that candidate C1 allocates to different
topics is A=>80% B=>20%. C2 allocates B=80% C=20%. C3 allocates C=80%
A=20%. As a result the voters are likely to vote so that candidates
C1, C2 and C3 form a preference cycle. Everything is quite normal
(although simplified, but more complex sets of opinions and candidates
will not spoil this example). The three candidates just happened to
plan their campaigns so that they generate a cycle. That could well
happen.

> However, I have found situations which, if they did occur, would
> have an obvious strategy for some voter groups. Basically, if you
> know there'll be an A>B>C>A cycle, and you can guess A will probably
> win the tiebreaker

One of the polls before the election might indicate so.

> , then B>C>A (by definition, under 1/3 of voters under most
> tiebreakers) should vote C>B>A to elect C, and B>A>C voters (by
> definition, a small minority - under 1/6 of voters) should vote
> B>C>A to help elect B. Note that these strategies contradict each
> other - but either one is somewhat robustly rational on its own.

I believe we are by default talking about large public elections. Now
we have the problem of informing the voters on what to do. Candidate
B's campaign office can not propose B>C>A voters to vote C>B>A in
order to elect C since B>A>C voters would not like that. Such
recommendations might also sound like B will give up. It is maybe
better (and more typical) for B to continue campaigning, claim to a
potential winner and try to get the missing votes somewhere (so that B
would win already with sincere votes). Candidate C's campaign office
might recommend B>C>A voters to vote C>B>A, but candidate B and
candidate B supporters might think this is just a campaign trick. C
office might give this kind of recommendations (propaganda) even if
they would not believe that the poll is accurate and that voter
behaviour will be similar at the election day.

I just picked some points above to show that it is not easy to control
and achieve the intended results in this kind of strategy campaigns.
Do we have some nice set of poll answers that some campaign office or
voters themselves (one by one, maybe getting assistance from the media
on how strategic voting works in Condorcet) could study and use as a
basis for strategic voting recommendations, and then implement this
strategy successfully? (= working election specific strategy) Can the
campaign offices trust on some particular poll enough to make their
move based on that? Public strategic recommendations may also cause
reactions among the voters (sincere changes of opinions and other
strategic moves). (And how abut continuing positive campaigning to
change the opinions of the voters before the election day?)

> But all of that assumes a knowable honest cycle - implausible to me
> for the reasons of symmetry given above. The more plausible
> situation is if there's a potential to strategically create a cycle,
> but no real cycle. For instance, say the election is a one-
> dimensional, partisan ABC battle, with B in the middle; you are a C
> voter; you know that C is not the likely winner; you have reason to
> believe that there are more BCA than BAC votes; and you're willing
> to dishonestly vote CAB and risk A beating B (that is, you don't
> really care about the difference between A and B). This is still
> just a bit implausible - if C voters think that B is closer to A
> than C, why do B voters think that C is closer to them than A?
> Moreover, most Condorcet tiebreakers would tend to give this
> election to B or A, even in the face of strategy, unless the fake-
> CAB strategists were surprisingly unified. If the strategy does
> "succeed" in picking C, that means that C would have won a plurality
> election. So this is the "best case" real-life strategy, and it's
> pretty weak - unlikely to succeed and likely to backfire - and the
> result is no more "pathological" than what we're already used to. I
> can imagine it happening rarely, I can imagine being very frustrated
> by it if I were on the wrong side - but honestly, I can't say that
> the C voters wouldn't deserve the victory. That is, if this strategy
> is rational, it is likely that C is the true Range winner, though
> not the honest Condorcet winner.

Yes. You already identified a number of problems that the C supporters
will face, so I don't need to try to find more.

In order to prove that Condorcet is not safe enough in typical
elections it would be enough to present one concrete and rational
example (= working election specific strategy) that the campaign
offices could recommend and voters could then implement, or that the
voters could independently apply. Any of the discussed categories
would do. But it seems that such examples are not very easy to find.
Anyone, any good examples in your mind?

Juho