[EM] Condorcet strategy spreadsheet (was, ...maybe it should be about Condorcet...)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:18:31 PST 2010

.

2010/1/31 Juho Laatu <juho.laatu at gmail.com>

> Yes. It is not easy to give exact numbers on how often strategies are
> possible in Condorcet. ...Even the second challenge of election specific
> commendations based on already available information is hard to meet.

The spreadsheet is about trying to find such strategies.

> There have been quite a number of (non-political) Condorcet elections but I
> have not seen anyone point out any obvious strategic opportunities even
> after the elections. Maybe this also says something about how common the
> vulnerabilities are (more experiments needed though).
>
> So, even when there is a theoretical vulnerability that some set of voters
> could use to improve the end result from their point of view by altering
> their votes, that may still be quite far from practical implementation of
> the strategy. Have you maybe generated some rules that the voters or
> parties/candidates could recommend to implement some of the strategies in
> real life?

The fundamental thing you need for any strategy to work is a (potentially)
"cyclical" election. That is, you need to know that (at least aside from
your own group of voters) ABC + BCA + CAB > CBA + BAC + ACB. Let's take real
cycles first, and potential cycles in the next paragraph. Real cycles very
hard to find in real world elections; if A voters hate C, then C voters tend
to hate A symmetrically. Thus, IMO all the scenarios that the spreadsheet
explores are more-or-less unrealistic; I can't make up good stories about
how they could happen in real life. However, I have found situations which,
if they did occur, would have an obvious strategy for some voter groups.
Basically, if you know there'll be an A>B>C>A cycle, and you can guess A
will probably win the tiebreaker, then B>C>A (by definition, under 1/3 of
voters under most tiebreakers) should vote C>B>A to elect C, and B>A>C
voters (by definition, a small minority - under 1/6 of voters) should vote
B>C>A to help elect B. Note that these strategies contradict each other -
but either one is somewhat robustly rational on its own.

But all of that assumes a knowable honest cycle - implausible to me for the
reasons of symmetry given above. The more plausible situation is if there's
a potential to strategically create a cycle, but no real cycle. For
instance, say the election is a one-dimensional, partisan ABC battle, with B
in the middle; you are a C voter; you know that C is not the likely winner;
you have reason to believe that there are more BCA than BAC votes; and
you're willing to dishonestly vote CAB and risk A beating B (that is, you
don't really care about the difference between A and B). This is still just
a bit implausible - if C voters think that B is closer to A than C, why do B
voters think that C is closer to them than A? Moreover, most Condorcet
tiebreakers would tend to give this election to B or A, even in the face of
strategy, unless the fake-CAB strategists were surprisingly unified. If the
strategy does "succeed" in picking C, that means that C would have won a
plurality election. So this is the "best case" real-life strategy, and it's
pretty weak - unlikely to succeed and likely to backfire - and the result is
no more "pathological" than what we're already used to. I can imagine it
happening rarely, I can imagine being very frustrated by it if I were on the
wrong side - but honestly, I can't say that the C voters wouldn't deserve
the victory. That is, if this strategy is rational, it is likely that C is
the true Range winner, though not the honest Condorcet winner.