[EM] Condorcet, please

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jan 30 18:12:31 PST 2010

Looking at Condorcet:
     Bullet voting, ala Plurality, is permitted.
     Approval, also permitted.
     Ranking, approving but showing difference in liking, permitted.
     Rating, being able to indicate strength of difference in liking,
not permitted or required - meaning no need or ability to compensate
for what other voters might do with such.
there is no requirement for indicating difference of preference among
such.

      Range is competitive - ranking and rating each have advantages,
though I prefer ranking:
            Ranking lets voters indicate which candidates they prefer
- candidates preferred by more voters win.
            Rating lets voters indicate how much they prefer A over B
- means a minority of voters agreeing where to apply emphasis can win
- truly great power - and GREAT duties to get it right.
      IRV, Plurality, Approval, Bucklin, and others have
disadvantages, though I will say little on this this time.

If a majority of Plurality voters vote for A, A wins.  IRV and Bucklin
are normally restricted to one top rank candidate - similar voting
assures the same winner, it not mattering what is done by other voters
or in other ranks.  If a majority of Condorcet voters choose to obey
the same restriction as to A and top rank, they will also elect A.

Looking at Condorcet ranking:
     higher>A&B>lower>unranked:
           Each higher counts as above each of A & B.
           A & B count as above each lower or unranked.
           For A>B, A counts as above B.
           For A=B, neither counts as above the other.

Bullet voting?  NOTHING wrong with this for many voters much of the
time - if they see a preferred candidate and see no other worth even a
lower rank.  Condorcet offers other choices that are USEFUL when the
selection of candidates and issues is seen as more complex.

Approval cutoff?  Why bother?  If a candidate would rank below this
level why not leave unranked - what useful is there to do with ranking
the candidate unless it means a better chance at winning?

Write-ins - should be permitted.  Usually not worth bothering, but
there are exceptions, such as someone becoming much more or less
electable after nomination period - one I remember was in a town near
here when ZERO petitions got submitted by the deadline.  Turned out
someone's error got believed - solution was to vote by write-ins only.

Primaries?  Plurality desperately needs them, for multiple candidates
for a party split the available votes.  Condorcet and many other
methods allow voters to vote for multiple candidates in such cases.
Need to balance what remaining good primaries offer against their
expense in money and time.

Runoffs?  Plurality desperately needs them any time the leading
candidate fails to get a majority of the votes, for the voters have
not had a chance to fully express their desires - and could agree on
other than that leader.  Condorcet and many other methods allow voters
to more completely express their desires.  Need to consider when the
expectable good from runoffs justifies their expense in money and time
- getting near to a majority could be the most it is worth investing
effort on with these methods.

Each of the above needs careful thought, for doing without them means
different strategy becomes appropriate:
      Primaries mean that the most generally acceptable candidate does
not get to the general election if rejected by primary voters in own
party.
      Making the general election become usually the final step can
encourage more complete preparation for that step.
      Both affect what schedules are practical for  election timing.

How many explicit ranks to support, besides unranked?  Three seems
common in IRV and Bucklin. Condorcet cares not.  More can mean
complexity in voting - and pleasing some voters - have fun!

Why have rules about how voters assign ranks, beyond the permission to
assign any rank number to as many or as few candidates as the voter
chooses - the counters properly only care about comparing two
candidates at any instant - every possible pair for which a voter
ranked one or both members - omitting only pairs of unranked members
(for this last, both members have the same rank).

Multi-winning to elect multiple members from a district?  This is
considered for various reasons.  Here I only suggest design/
consideration here of a ranking method similar to Condorcet if
Condorcet is used for other elections.

I read of election systems getting positive credit for producing
results similar to other systems.  Need thought also to noticing
differences and paying more attention to whether these represent
improvements.

On Jan 16, 2010, at 3:28 AM, Dave Ketchum wrote
Re: [EM] IRV vs Plurality (Dave Ketchum):

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:05:58 -0500
>>> From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>>> To: Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>

>> Great idea. Is this Dave Ketchum speaking above?  Very simple and
>> logically coherent plan.  Thanks for sharing.  Could it be possible
>> that this plan would ever not work? (I.e. same margins?)
>
> I did this, though suspecting the idea already has a variant name.
> The adoption is intentionally two steps:
>     1.  Use this variant to easily prove there is a Condorcet
> variant ready to compete against such as IRV.
>     2.  If there is a better variant, even though likely more
> complex, let it compete against this one.
>
> Same margins is a possibility requiring a response be attended to
> before actual use.  At proposal time the possibility needs
> mentioning - I see nothing more needed at that time (probably delete
> them one at a time in some specified order).
>>>>
>>> Note that this method breaks the cycle at the point where the
>>> smallest
>>> number of ballots being voted differently would have broken the
>>> cycle.
>>>
>>> Note that weaker candidates are unlikely to get enough votes to be
>>> part of a cycle - being weak they get few high rank votes.

Dave Ketchum