[EM] IRV vs Plurality (Dave Ketchum)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jan 16 00:28:02 PST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:05:58 -0500
>> From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>> To: Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>

> Yet Condorcet is simple to count and precinct-summable, monotonic, and
> treats all voters' votes equally, unlike IRV/STV which is virtually
> impossible to manually count, requires a mind-boggling number of piles
> and subpiles to count it and requires that all late-counted ballots
> are ready to count centrally, or the entire long tedious process has
> to be restarted.

> The organization promoting IRV/STV is very well-funded and invests a
> lot of capital into highly misleading local advertising campaigns in
> order to promote its adoption.  I could send this list some
> information on that if anyone is interested.  I don't think that any
> group promoting a fair, equitable, auditable alternative method like
> Condorcet or others has put forth such a well-funded campaign have
> they?

> Great idea. Is this Dave Ketchum speaking above?  Very simple and
> logically coherent plan.  Thanks for sharing.  Could it be possible
> that this plan would ever not work? (I.e. same margins?)

I did this, though suspecting the idea already has a variant name.
The adoption is intentionally two steps:
      1.  Use this variant to easily prove there is a Condorcet
variant ready to compete against such as IRV.
      2.  If there is a better variant, even though likely more
complex, let it compete against this one.

Same margins is a possibility requiring a response be attended to
before actual use.  At proposal time the possibility needs mentioning
- I see nothing more needed at that time (probably delete them one at
a time in some specified order).

> [...]
>
> Yes, one could certainly say that this allows the top cycle to prevail
> by breaking the weakest link where weakest is defined as the smallest
> margin in this case.  This minimum margins method is so logically
> correct and fair.

> Whomever said this obviously hasn't ever counted any IRV or STV
> elections manually in a contest with a substantial number of
> candidates and voters.  Condorcet is orders of magnitude simpler to
> count than is IRV because there can never be more than n x n tallies
> to tally in each precinct and those tallies are precinct-summable,
> whereas IRV requires tallying
>
> n*(n-1)*(n-2) + n(n-1) +n tallies for each precinct even if the voter
> is only allowed to rank three choices - a huge number of tallies as
> the number of candidates grows large and a much larger amount as the
> number of allowed rankings goes up - for each precinct, at least if
> the method is made precinct-summable rather than using a huge number
> of sorting piles which I haven't yet derived the formulas for and have
> no plans to do so.
>
> The reason it takes cities over a month to manually count IRV/STV
> elections in large cities in practice when they don't have computer
> equipment attests to its utter complexity when trying to accurately
> count it manually.  A little test would be to create a semi-complex
> election contest and use say, even just half of the possible
> permutations that IRV/STV can produce and see how many test subjects
> can figure out how to accurately manually count the votes.  The only
> reason it didn't take Minneapolis that long was because the voter
> turnout in Minneapolis' first IRV/STV election was astronomically
> depressed (low) and the incumbant winning candidates had a majority of
> first choice votes so it was won by a simple plurality count.

> Condorcet is SO much easier and quicker and simpler to count than IRV
> if one simply tallies one n x n matrix for each precinct and sums the
> corresponding positions for all the precincts.  No need to wait for
> all the absentee and provisional ballots, no need for centralized
> counting, no need to sort and resort ballots into dozens of piles of
> ballots, or even worse with STV keep track of which portion of which
> ballot goes into which pile (tearing or cutting up the ballots would
> help in that manual counting nightmare.)

> Yes. Another point against IRV/STV is no scalability of manual
> counting. Condorcet is infinitely scalable since it is as simple to
> manually count dozens or hundreds of precincts as it is to count one,
> without moving all the ballots to one central location.

> For IRV/STV, but not for precinct-summable methods like Condorcet or
> all the various other precinct-summable methods.
>
> Imagine sending all your ballots nationwide to DC for manual counting
> to check the outcome of a Presidential election. We'll simply let the
> GW administration, for instance, count the results in his own IRV

This paragraph has inspired comment.  It needs a method willing and
able to count this correctly - AND able to prove it does that.

Dave Ketchum