[EM] IRV vs Plurality (or is it about Range? maybe it should be about Condorcet.)

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Jan 28 17:36:46 PST 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 5:13 PM, Juho wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:33 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

>>> The basic Range strategy is unfortunately present in almost all
>>> elections,
>>
>> i don't see how it would be with a simple ranked-order ballot.
>> especially, if decided by Condorcet, you cannot exaggerate your
>> rankings.  if you like A better than anyone and you like B better
>> than C, then there is nothing to be gained by any other ranking
>> than A>B>C.  if you really hate C, you can rank a bunch of other
>> candidates you don't care about between B and C.  but it doesn't
>> change how the election would work between the candidates A, B,
>> and C.
>
> Yes, the main rule in Condorcet is that sincere voting is enough.
> Condorcet has also strategic vulnerabilities but in most
> environments one can expect those problems to be so marginal that
> sincere voting will be dominant and is the most practical
> "strategy" for all voters.

again, other than to attempt to throw an election (decided by
Condorcet rules) into a cycle, i can't think of any situation where
it would serve any voter's political interests to rank a less
preferred candidate higher than one that is more preferred.  and,
it's hard for me to imagine such a strategy serving the voter(s)
using it, since it could be anyone's guess how the cycle that they
create gets resolved.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com