[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Fri Jan 22 07:46:41 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Arrow never used, never mind defined, the word "spoiler".
>>

> That is true. Back in Arrow's day,

"Back in Arrow's day"? Like, um, today?

> the word spoiler was not used, but
> Arrow exactly and broadly describes the spoiler condition as one of
> his fairness criteria.

Arrow defines IIA precisely.

"Spoiler", on the other hand, is a word in casual English defined, as are most such words, by its usage, which is generally a candidate with little or no chance of winning who affects the outcome negatively relative to their supporters' preferences--a restricted, somewhat fuzzy, subset of IIA violations.

> Study this to understand and was easy to find
> using google on "Arrow's Fairness Criteria"
>
> http://www.ctl.ua.edu/math103/Voting/whatdowe.htm#The%20Independence%20of%20Irrelevant%20Alternatives%20Criterion
>
> This reminds me of one of the plethora of other deliberately
> misleading claims of Fairytale Vote

Stop. You're killing me.