[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected to the spoiler effect if any

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Jan 21 11:01:38 PST 2010

well, since no one else responded...

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> Thanks Kristofer for the explanations.  Do you know a good place that
> discusses the Ranked Pairs method of resolving cycles, or all the
> methods of resolving cycles?

Wikipedia.  maybe start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Voting_systems and see what you find from there.

>   I would still like an example of  a
> spoiler in Condorcet no matter how unlikely if possible.

the spoiler would have to either push a nicely resolved election with
a CW into a cycle and have the cycle resolved so that the earlier CW
does not win or, if the election was in a cycle in the first place
(but resolved to pick some winner), the spoiler would have to cause
the election algorithm to choose a different winner (and not the
spoiler).

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com