[EM] Fw: Two simple alternative voting methods that are fairer than IRV/STV and lack most IRV/STV flaws

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Jan 20 23:28:36 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 12:52 AM 1/18/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>
>> yes, it's debatable and, since there are 3 different methods all
>> lifting up different declared winners, it's subjective.
>
> Well, it's subjective without preference strength information.

the debate *might* go into the direct if whatever "preference
strength information" is subjective or not.

> With that information, an objective assessment is possible.
>
> Condorcet analysis is also objective from IRV ballot data, provided
> there is no widespread strategic voting, i.e., preference reversal.
> While in some situations, there is room for debate over whether or
> not the Condorcet winner is ideal, that doesn't apply to
> Burlington. We know that Montrose would win in a direct contest
> with each of the other candidates,

just to be clear.  i corrected this before.  the Democrat-nominated
candidate for mayor in Burlington VT in 2009, who also turned out to
be the Condorcet winner in an IRV election, is named "Andy
Montroll".  last name "Montroll".  with two L's no S nor E.

if it were me, i would eventually be annoyed if someone consistently
mispronounced or mispelled my name, even after the correct name has
been offered earlier.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com