[EM] Fw: Two simple alternative voting methods that are fairerthan IRV/STV and lack most IRV/STV flaws

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jan 20 09:04:47 PST 2010

At 12:52 AM 1/18/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

>yes, it's debatable and, since there are 3 different methods all
>lifting up different declared winners, it's subjective.

Well, it's subjective without preference strength information. With
that information, an objective assessment is possible.

Condorcet analysis is also objective from IRV ballot data, provided
there is no widespread strategic voting, i.e., preference reversal.
While in some situations, there is room for debate over whether or
not the Condorcet winner is ideal, that doesn't apply to Burlington.
We know that Montrose would win in a direct contest with each of the
other candidates, there isn't any doubt about that, and the margin
would be large.

We also know that the overall first-preference strength is such that
there are three major parties, with the Democrats in the center,
which means that Republicans generally prefer the Democrat over the
Progressive, and the Progressives generally prefer the Democrat over
the Republican. And the Democrats are divided, some preferring the
Republican over the Progressive, some the Progressive over the
Republican. Classic center squeeze situation, because, with it, the
middle party tends to shrink a bit and become the smallest of the top
three parties. The Burlington election problem last year is not rare,
when there are three major parties.

While it's possible to assert that no-first-preference candidates
shouldn't win (and I strongly disagree with this, even if it were
ever the case in reality), this is a red herring that FairVote
raises, they are desperate to find voting systems criteria that IRV
satisfies and competing methods don't. In reality here, as to first
preference, there are three parties which are *roughly* equal in
first preference strength.