[EM] Two simple alternative voting methods that are fairer than IRV/STV and lack most IRV/STV flaws

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Jan 18 16:25:06 PST 2010

In response I will pick on LNH for not being a serious reason for
rejecting Condorcet - that such failure can occur with reasonable
voting choices for which the voter knows what is happening.  Quoting
from Wikipedia:

> For example in an election conducted using theCondorcet compliant
> method Ranked pairs the following votes are cast:
> 49: A
> 25: B
> 26: C>B
> B is preferred to A by 51 votes to 49 votes. A is preferred to C by
> 49 votes to 26 votes. C is preferred to B by 26 votes to 25 votes.
> There is no Condorcet winner and B is the Ranked pairs winner.
> Suppose the 25 B voters give an additional preference to their
> second choice C.
> The votes are now:
> 49: A
> 25: B>C
> 26: C>B
> C is preferred to A by 51 votes to 49 votes. C is preferred to B by
> 26 votes to 25 votes. B is preferred to A by 51 votes to 49 votes.
> C is now the Condorcet winner and therefore theRanked pairs winner.
> By giving a second preference to candidate C the 25 B voters have
> caused their first choice to be defeated.

Pro-A is about equal strength with anti-A.  For this it makes sense
for anti-A to give their side the best odds with the second vote
pattern, not caring about LNH (B and C may compete with each other,
but clearly care more about trouncing A).

An aside:  Note that the same strategy makes sense for IRV - A wins
the first vote while B or C wins the second (C as shown; B with a
trivial change in votes).

LNH may have made sense for the methods that inspired it, but cannot
compete for causing trouble for Condorcet, considering IRV's problems.

Dave Ketchum