[EM] IRV vs Plurality

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sun Jan 10 12:18:36 PST 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Stéphane Rouillon wrote:

> from the data you produce, I agree that for the Burlington
> election, IRV did produce the same result
> FPTP would have produced.

it's *not* the same result.  it is a worse result if you force the
majority to vote strategically (which is what FPTP would do) than if
you punish a minority for not voting strategically (which is what IRV
did).  FPTP would have elected Kurt Wright to the dismay of 66% while
IRV elected Bob Kiss to the dismay of far fewer because the Dems in
Burlington like Progs more than they like GOPs.

> However, nobody can generalize this perticular case to any election.

but it *does* serve as a useful object lesson.

> I can observe that IRV allows more often to obtain a Condoret
> winner when plurality fails, than plurality finds a Condorcet
> winner when IRV fails.

well, that goes without saying.

> So I claim IRV is more reliable than plurality.

it saved Burlington from electing the 3rd most popular candidate and
elected the 2nd most popular candidate.  the candidate preferred by
the majority of voters (and thus would beat any other candidate in
the final round had he been it the final round) was eliminated before
the IRV final round.

it's a mixed result for the majority of Burlington voters.  but it's
still better than Plurality or the Delayed-Runoff (which is what
would happen if the old law was in force).

> Abd ul-Rahman Lomax a écrit :
>>
>> The recent election in Burlington, Vermont, though, was a partisan
>> election. There, Kiss was trailing Wright in first-preference
>> votes, but Kiss obtained enough vote transfers from Montrose
>> supporters to pass up Wright in the second round of counting. Kiss
>> is Progressive, Wright Republican, and Montrose is a Democrat.
>>
>> But looking at the actual voting data, which is available, we can
>> see that Montrose was,

Abd ul,

the candidate's last name is "Montroll".  just thought i would point
that out early.

(last October i presented a tutorial on finite-order polynomial
approximation to transcendental functions and i mistakenly pronounced
"Remez" with the "z".  that was embarrassing.  until discussing this
with Terry B over tea, i had always pronounced the "t" in Condorcet.
Terry has saved me from some wider embarrassment.

there's a joke we have here:

Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?