[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jan 10 11:22:23 PST 2010

Stephane,

Although Abd often asserts that IRV replicates FPTP results, I don't think
he is claiming that in the last Burlington election. The plurality leader
was the Republican Kurt Wright with 33%. He presumably would have won
under FPTP. However, as the weaker candidates were eliminated (first the
Green and Independent, and then the Democrat) the Progressive Party
incumbent mayor who was in second place in the initial first-choice tally
won the runoff.

Of course, there is the additional factor that a change in voting rules
would likely change both campaign tactics as well as fears about spoilers,
and whether all five candidates would have even run. It is certainly
possible that the Democratic Party candidate would be dismissed as a
"spoiler" with the Republican challenger and Progressive incumbent being
seen as the "credible" candidates. It is also quite possible that the
Independent with around 10% first choice support would not have run if
FPTP had been used. Voters rather universally ranked their true favorite
choice as number one, but that wouldn't have been true under FPTP.

IRV resulted in a VERY different set of dynamics than would have existed
with FPTP, so it is impossible to say with any certainty what the outcome
would have been. It is also noteworthy that the current debate is NOT
about substituting typical FPTP, but rather FPTP with a 40% requirement.
Under that scenario, it is quite likely that the Progressive would have
won as well, since no candidate reached 40% initially, and IRV replicated
the likely runoff outcome.

Terry Bouricius