[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 10 10:57:29 PST 2010

Abd Ul,

from the data you produce, I agree that for the Burlington election, IRV
did produce the same result
FPTP would have produced.
However, nobody can generalize this perticular case to any election.
I agree that in non-partisan election the rallying pattern of defeated
voters does not fit only one typical set of preferences.
However again, a statistical analysis of general preferences shows an
unbalance of preferences, even for non-partisan elections.
Is this unbalance major to the point that IRV could allow a come-back
from another candidate than the plurality winner, or
is this unbalance minor so IRV does not change anything, it depends of
each election.
On a last aspect, I do agree that Condorcet is better than both. And I
admit that , even if I believe that the distribution
of a generalized set of preferences is unbalanced, I have not yet been
able to evaluate or quantify  this unbalance.

You can argue that as long that I was not able to quantify by how much
this unbalance occurs (amplitude distribution), it is not
acceptable to claim that this unbalance should allow IRV to find a
"better" winner. But, we do have data of previous elections and
because we both agree that a Condorcet winner is a "better" winner for
this purpose, we can use this reference to evaluate the
combined impact of IRV and the unbalance of the preference sets. Thus,
even if I do dot know the general unbalance distribution,
I can observe that IRV allows more often to obtain a Condoret winner
when plurality fails, than plurality finds a Condorcet winner
when IRV fails. So I claim IRV is more reliable than plurality.

Yours, Stéphane.