[EM] just to let you know ...

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Jan 7 04:30:48 PST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Terry Bouricius wrote:

> Actually, the opposition to IRV in Burlington is predominantly focused on
> the complaint that the plurality leader in the initial tally ended up
> losing in the runoff tally.

That's stupid enough to get me a bit angry.

They see a problem with IRV results.
Going back to pick-one voting is sticking their heads in the sand and denying to see the problem.

Because we have the full data dump from the rankings ballots we can do analysis and figure out what happened and how IRV was wrong (and how pick-one would have been wrong), but if they take that away then we just won't know again. Problem hidden!

I really hope the forces of stupid don't win. Good luck up there guys.
If there was going to be a big public meeting, I might even be tempted to drive up from Boston. Even if I didn't get to contribute much I'd be curious to see just how these things play out amongst real Americans who aren election theory wonks.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/