[EM] just to let you know ...

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 03:23:05 PST 2010

> plurality leader in the initial tally ended up losing

> weak Condorcet compromise in third place

> if Burlington had used Condorcet rules ... there would be even more
> vociferous calls for repeal

These are all semi-valid concerns in a country that is so used to
plurality winners and single-party governments (winner without lots
of / sufficient amount of of first preference support could be a
"weak" single-party ruler).

I note that also the spoiler effect is a quite well known problem in
the USA and that the 33% plurality winner would have lost also with
the old rules (the probability of electing a Republican might be
bigger with the old rules though). All this together shows that the
discussion and decision making is probably more abut who makes the
best and most convincing claims at correct times than about who makes
the correct and rational claims. There is no one making a rational
summary of all the arguments. The discussion is more likely to hover
around various simple claims (that may well be oversimplified, false,
unclear, intentionally unclear and/or in conflict with each others
just like the already mentioned claims are, no problem).

Many voters may have interest but not sufficient knowledge and time/
interest to draw rational conclusions. Politicians may well drive only
the short term interests of their own party and themselves (instead of
the society as a whole) (big parties usually have even rational
(selfish) reasons). Media may also be mostly interested in short term
juicy stories. And experts too may have mixed interests. I however
note that there is always some tendency to find solutions that are
good in theory and in practice (and tendency to avoid solutions that
have clearly been "proven wrong"). Decision making will go slightly in
that (rational, sensible) direction if all the facts are made known
and especially if clear descriptions and clear justification of them
are available. That means that despite of the demagogic nature of the
discussion also rational argumentation does have a place in the
process. Better to throw the argumentation in although the discussion
and its outcome may not fully follow the intended logic.

Juho