[EM] IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Feb 11 20:55:58 PST 2010

We all get careless and stumble, sooner or later!

But I choke on two details here:

You misuse the label "plurality" - having only the ability to vote for
1 even though, for many races most intelligent voters will find there
is only one candidate deserving approval.
      Even Approval has more power, letting voters vote for more than
one, though unable to differentiate.
      Condorcet is another important step up, letting voters vote for
more than one while indicating which they like best.

Forcing voters to act as if they wanted to vote for more than they
wish to is a step backward, and should not pretend to be an asset for
a method.

"Majority" is a word whose merits need more serious thought - see an
earlier post from today.

Ditto "runoffs".

Dave Ketchum