[EM] IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Feb 5 19:33:56 PST 2010

Seems like a waste, other than to perhaps help dump IRV, but:

Why not a logical matrix that can take less space if you only store
elements that have data  even if that takes more space per element:

Each element contains a candidate identifier, a count of usage, and
pointers up and right.

Pick up first ballot.  Put each candidate in a new element, count of
1, and pointer to right to next element.  Finish with empty element.

Pick up next ballot - same voting so simply add 1 to each count.

Pick up next ballot.  When you come to a difference create an element
in new space, point up to it, and then go right to complete the ballot.

When going up there may already be a chain - you go up til you see a
match - and go up to a new element if no match.

These matrices should be summable.  When going to the right just add
the counts.  When going up, add counts if same candidates; add new
elements to chain when needed.

Likewise when deleting a losing candidate - add its array to where it
fits in what remains.

Dave Ketchum