[EM] IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Feb 5 13:10:31 PST 2010

At 01:12 PM 2/5/2010, James Gilmour wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax  > Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 4:50 PM
><CUT>
> > Practically speaking, I'd assume, the precincts would be provided
> > with a spreadsheet showing the possible combinations, and they would
> > report the combinations using the spreadsheet, transmitting it. So
> > some cells would be blank or zero. With 5 candidates on the ballot,
> > the spreadsheet has gotten large, but it's still doable. What happens
> > if preferential voting encourages more candidates to file, as it
> > tends to do? 23 candidates in San Francisco? Even with three-rank
> > RCV, it gets hairy.
>
>Respectfully, I would suggest this would NOT be
>a wise way to collect the data.  As I pointed
>out in my e-mail that correctly listed
>the maximum possible number of preference
>profiles for various numbers of candidates, the
>actual number of preference profiles in
>any election (or any one precinct) with a
>significant number of candidates, will be
>limited by the number of voters.  Further,
>because some (many) voters will choose the same
>profiles of preferences, the actual number of
>preference profiles will likely be
>even lower  -  as in the Dáil Éireann election I quoted.

That's correct; however, there is no practical
way to predict which profiles are needed. Sorting
the ballots into piles and subpiles until there
is a separate pile for every profile strikes me
as how it would be done. (or they could be sorted
in sequence, according to the physical position
of the marks, which would be faster, probably).
Then the data from each pattern would be entered
into the matching position on the spreadsheet.

>Thus a spreadsheet containing all possible
>preference profiles would be unnecessarily large
>and the probability of making mistakes
>in data entry would likely be greater than if
>each precinct recorded only the numbers for each profile actually found in that
>precinct.

The probability of making mistakes is not as
stated, because there is a check on the
spreadsheet data, there can be several checks.
First of all, I'd first sort the ballots by first
preference and transmit that data. This is merely
preliminary, but those totals might decide the
election. The sums should equal the number of ballots found.

Then the piles would be sequenced and the totals
for each particular pattern found. It may be more
efficient to keep A>.>B separate from A>B,
because there is less interpretation required.
I.e., "Blank" simply becomes another candidate.
That adds to the possibilities, for sure, but
simplifies the actual sorting. Blank intermediary
votes should be pretty rare with IRV, so this
will not materially add to the data that must be transmitted.

The spreadsheet could be transmitted raw, or it
could be edited to remove empty rows (i.e,
patterns with no ballots found matching). That
reduces transmitted data but increases local
processing and possibility for error. However, in
either case, the check by summing remains. The
check for subpatterns of each first choice is an
additional error check. The first data
transmitted could actually be used to shorten the
process, i.e., there would be two reports from
precincts: the first report with only first rank
votes, a wait for central tabulation to have
collected enough precincts to be able to advise
on batch elimination, and then an additional
transmission with all remaining relevant patterns

There is no doibt but that IRV can be counted,
but the point is that it can get really complex
and take a lot of time, when an election is close
with many candidates. With more than a small
handful of candidates, experience has shown that
it can be a time-consuming and expensive process,
done by hand. And very difficult to audit, even
if done by computer. That's why the election
security people here in the U.S., in general, don't like it.

What is done, in practice, is to collect and
analyze ballot images. This has been done with
preprocessing to collapse votes like A>,>B, but
that's actually only a minor improvement and
reduces transparency. If I'm correct, the
collection of the data has been done centrally,
the equipment not being present at the voting
precincts, so, in short, they truck the ballots
to central tabulation. This creates other risks.

> > However, the problem with this is that a single error in a precinct
> > can require, then, all precincts to have to retabulate.
>
>Yes, this "distributed counting" would
>work.  But there is an even simpler
>solution  -  take all the ballots to one counting centre
>and then sort and count only the ballots that
>are necessary to determine the winner (or winners in an STV-PR election).

That's what's being done. What experience here
shows is that, even centrally counted, errors
happen in earlier rounds that then require
recounting all later rounds. The possibility of
this rises with the number of candidates and the closeness of the election.

>   That what
>has been done for public elections in Ireland
>and the UK for many decades and it works well
>without problems.  But I do appreciate
>that is far too simple and practical a solution and it suffers from NMH.

I don't think it's true that it has been "without
problems." There are and have been problems. But
if IRV were an optimal method, it might be worth
the trouble. For multiwinner STV, indeed, it
might well be worth the trouble. But for
single-winner? I don't think so. There are
simpler methods that produce better results, by all objective measures.

(Frankly, there is only one clearly objective
measure, which is how a method performs in
simulations, particularly with reasonable
simulation of actual preference profiles -- full
utility profiles -- and voting strategies as
voters are known to use or are likely to use.
"Election criteria," like the Condorcet
Criterion, tend to be criteria that are
intuitively satisfying, but that can actually
fail completely and obviously under certain
conditions, and a method failing a criterion may
mean nothing if the failure is so rare and
requires such unusual voting patterns that it
will never be encountered under realistic
conditions. Basically, how do we judge the
criteria? And there are only two ways that I see,
one is through utility analysis and the other
through basic democratic principles, broadly
accepted, such as the right of decision that is
held by a majority; a majority of voters voting
for a single proposition, with no opposing
majority voting simultaneously for a conflicting
proposition, must have the right to
implementation. When there are multiple
majorities there is not a simple question and
there remains doubt as to a majority decision.)