[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:19:48 PDT 2010

Hello,

I have some catching up to do here.
I need to think more about some of the different methods and the proposals I
have gotten.
Some of the methods are new to me.
As I am a layman it takes time to understand them.

Condorcet methods have not been used in politics yet, I think.
Are there by any chance other methods to elect centrist presidents?
If I have understood the discussion correctly, you are still in draft phase.
When some of you feel you have a good proposal at hand in this discussion,
feel free to summarize and put forward a draft.

Using the same ballots with different vote counting techniques seems like
quite an elegant and interesting solution.
I never thought of that possibility.
If more than one ballot is to be used, then I prefer to having the P and
VP elected before the councilmembers.

Just to avoid misunderstandings:
The president is the party leader as in most political parties around the
world.
He is the main guy simply, the person appearing on television etc., the one
people know best in the streets.
The president also chairs the meetings of the national council (sometimes I
have used the term "board", the meaning is the same in this context).
Think Gordon Brown or Angela Merkel, small scale :o)
We have discussed splitting the external and internal funcions of the
president, but it is not politically feasible to do.
It is neither feasible to change the role of the president to be a stricly
internal guy or to have him elected by the council.
The president has to be elected by the delegates as is the case today, if
the proposal should have a chance to pass.
The vice president's are ordered first and second and third. The number of
VP chan vary. The VP are the ones who stand in for the president or party
leader (in that order).
The president and the vice presidents are all member of the board, which
currently has seven members.

Best regards
Peter Zborník