[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:37:54 PDT 2010

2010/4/28 Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Do you mean that voters would concentrate on the first rankings and
> > strongest candidates? The used method should be such that this kind of
> > behaviour will not be rational.
>
> Yes.  If the order of election matters, then your first rank is
> effectively for the president's position .. and it is a plurality
> election.

Minor note: I proposed using order-of-election for vice president, not for
president.

How about this: Elect the council with STV. Elect the president from the
council with Condorcet. Elect a two-member subset of that council with
PR-STV. Any members of that two-member council who aren't the president are
vice presidents.

It gives a variable number of vice presidents. However, it seems like a very
fair all-around system, and needs no innovative new methods.

Or, if you elected a 3-member subset, I suspect it would be very rare that
the president was not in that subset. If she wasn't, and if 3 VPs were too
many, you could then repeat the STV to choose two of those 3, or let the
board elect 2, or let the president pick 2, or eliminate the Condorcet loser
among those 3.

(I still like my RBV method, and would still be willing to code it
open-source if the Czech greens are interested. But I understand if they
want something more proven.)

Jameson Quinn