[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Apr 27 11:25:55 PDT 2010

At 04:36 AM 4/27/2010, Peter Zbornik wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would prefer to have the P. elected by the same people electing
>the board. The P. is indeed the person most often representing the
>party on the outside.

Okay, structural defect. The president is normally the presiding
officer of the board of trustees. That person should be chosen by the
board itself, since they are the ones who have to live with it! This
person should mostly be chosen for fairness, so that board members
are treated fairly, an abusive chairperson is very damaging to an organization.

You want to elect a public figure. This person should *not* be a
member of the board, probably, but it's the board's job to support
this person. Call it the President, fine. The person should have
board rights, maybe a vote on the board, but isn't chosen as a person
to control the party, but to speak for it. Important difference.